History of South Park

The earliest record of the park dates to the will of Sir James Belasses in 1636, he left Poor Howdens Farm to the town of Darlington for charitable purposes. In 1850 the trustees of the charity suggested it "be used as a park or promenade and a recreation ground for the public at large".

Postcards from the Past...

 

More information can be found HERE